31.12.10

so that was 2010



It's been a while since I posted something "heart-felt" here on Sunshine. There are always plenty of reasons for playing life a bit close to the chest, of course, and let me tell you: I have plenty.

That said, 2010 has come and gone - and I think we've all grown up a bit.

Personally, 2010 was a strange year for me. I reconnected with some estranged family members just in time for them to "be there" for me when my father passed away in July. It was around that time that I made the decision to do whatever was necessary to become a bigger part of my son's life, and moved across two states (with no job and no plan) to be with him.

Those were probably the two major events of the year. As it is, perhaps, with everyone in situations like these, I learned who would really be there for me when I needed them, and who was just along for the ride. I wish I could say that I knew who was who before-hand, but I was surprised - and grateful - every time.

SO, while I'm on the subject of gratitude I'd like to say that I couldn't have made it through this year's hard times (and there are a lot more than the two listed above) without the support and friendship of people like Jody, Bill, Don, and Frankie.

In many ways, 2010 was a very "adult" year. There were break-ups, heated arguments over my boy, multiple moves, financial struggles, personal struggles, stresses at work, and stresses at home ... but there were some great times, too.

For starters, I've been writing quite a bit more frequently - and I do enjoy it so. I've gotten re-acquainted with the Linux terminal, CSS, HTML, and AutoCAD, as well - just because I like myself better the better I get at these things. I learned a lot about sales and marketing from Jody, and (with Bill's help) I'm putting all of these things together.

Perhaps the biggest personal story of 2010, for me, was joining Speedriven. After the disappointments at RENNtech and Switzer I was almost ready to give up on automotive - but here I am, and (on some days) I couldn't be happier. Marcin has made me feel like I've been here since day 1 - which I have, in many ways!

It's still too soon to tell, of course, how the Speedriven adventure will play out. So far, though, I'm glad we're here and I'm glad we're doing this. We've had more successes than we could have reasonably expected, and (if our luck holds out) we've got a lot more success to come.

If I had to sum it all up, I suppose I would tell you that 2010 was the first year I really felt like an "adult", with all the pros (and only some of the cons) that the word implies.



2011 HAD BETTER WATCH OUT


I think that's enough philosophy for today, right?

Right.

Now, I'd intended to wrap this up here, but I can't justifiably close out any kind of retrospective on 2010 without mentioning Charis. I don't think she likes it when I draw attention to her, but nobody reads this anyway, so here goes: Charis has been an amazingly positive influence on me for the last six years. In 2010, however, she was my rock in so many storms that I sincerely lost count. Without her there to hold me up, I'm sure I would have fallen into a deep depression at best, and ... best not to think of the "at worst".

Thank you, Charis. I couldn't have made it through 2010 without you, and I can't wait to see what 2011 brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment